Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Oils, not just a tube of paint

I’m not an artist myself, although both of my daughters are very artistic and through the years have created beautiful works of art in a number of media. This has given me a small intro into the world of art.

So instead of sharing my very limited knowledge on oils, I thought I’d find good resources online.

Marion Boddy-Evans has some good articles on About.com.
This article is clear and concise: “Drying Oils or Mediums Used in Oil Painting.” A companion article is “Oil Painting: Solvents and Resins

This article by Alina Bradford, “Oil Painting Tips and Terms,” is aimed at someone wanting to learn to paint, but I found it of interest in understanding some of the steps that an artist might go through in their painting.

Many of the artists we feature at the gallery, paint in oils.